Saturday, October 18, 2008

From Pretoria to Durban...




Since we last updated the blog we've jumped cities within South Africa and come to the beach city of Durban. Before we left though we had a great couple nights with Clive, Hanlie, and Daniel in Pretoria. They cooked us a barbeque of South African food and we ate it outside in their back yard at their family dinner table. The weather is nice enough where they eat regularly outside- it's great. The night consisted of everyone enjoying red wine, barbequed meat, and great conversation. We had some great long laughs where you can hardly breath and your face starts to hurt along with the some toasting of one another and stories from past National Team trips (Daniel is quite interested in our swimming lives as professional swimmers). I must say it was a unique night, and as Yolana said it truly was a "memorable night."

Since that night we've flown to the meet and swum a couple sessions. The flight was an easy 40 minutes in the exit row again, this time thanks to Yolana who worked the airline workers for us. As we were landing Kicker and I got a great overview of the city and the beaches. Durban's Indian Ocean looked pretty stormy when we were flying in, but you could see how the waves could be fun to ride on a more organized day of waves; that plus the warm water could make it a fun destination. Our shuttle driver from the airport to the pool showed us his favorite surfing spots at "North Pier" and some some other pier I can't remember the name of, but from our hotel room on the 16th floor we can see all the piers and surfers out there every day. I think I'd take the California surf with the Indian Ocean warmth after watching the waves from the past couple days- not that impressive, but still fun to see people out in the line up on the other side of the world.

Yesterday was the first day of competition and we did pretty well. I can't wait to show you guys all the video but we just don't have the time or resources to put anything together on the road here. Internet connections are hard enough to come by when you're not uploading a HD video. Anyways, last night Kicker had a great 100 free and got 5th with a 48.8. Kicker said he felt good until that last 25 and thought it was quite a good showing considering the fact that we've probably been surfing more than swimming lately. I swam the 50 fly and the 100 back last night finishing 4th and 2nd respectively. On the 50 fly, I thought I was going to win considering my lead at the 25, but with a short stroke into the 25 wall that ended up cutting my hand I ended up fourth. Blood was dripping down my hand all the way to the doctors room. In the back Randall just plain swam a great race and beat me by a second or so; I went a 52.02 and am pleased with that time.

Tonight I have the 50 back and Kicker has the 50 free- what a great day of sprinting. No warm down necessary and that's what every swimmer enjoys. We'll let y'all know how it goes.

Peter

No comments: